Saturday, October 20, 2007

Politics, Bloggers, and Internet Freedom

I consider myself a moderate and try not to get pulled into the right verses the left debate. However, I wonder if Republicans know where they really stand on Internet Freedom. It seems to me that the Republicans are so concerned about allowing governmental agencies to have access to all forms of communications, that they have overlooked the importance of independent thinkers on the radio and Internet blogs. Even though the Republicans support conservative radio broadcasters, they do not support Internet Freedom. Bloggers need the freedom to be Citizen Journalists. If the government and telecommunications giants have their way, bloggers could be discriminated against easily. Net Neutrality is being debated in Washington right now. Citizen Journalism is essential to promote and stimulate discourse about our democracy. One could argue that bloggers are Citizen Journalists. Regardless, all bloggers should support Net Neutrality.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well I'm a registered Republican..though I have been leaning towards Independents.
The Constitution alone gives us the rights and freedoms for expression and freedom of speech.
I certainly stand with Net Freedom!