Saturday, November 17, 2007

Protestors and Politics

There seems to be more anti-war protesters now. As a vet, I support the troops and I want them to win this war. However, it appears that this is becoming increasingly difficult as time goes on. I really do not have the answers to resolve the current terrorist inspired violence in Iraq. It is real obvious that terrorists all over the world are please every time an American soldier is killed. This makes me angry.


Anti-war protesters are misguided. However, they have a right to protest. This is still America. I am old enough to remember coming home in 1968 and being told by the Army that it would be wise to not wear my uniform while traveling back home to my small home town in Central California. Because, I could be attacked at the airports. Attacked by American protesters. Well, I just survived my tour of duty to come home to a bunch of America protesters. Give me break.

Elections are just around the corner. I like many things the Democrats stand for like supporting organized labor, environmental laws, minimum wage laws, social security increases, and a concern for less fortunate. However, the Democrats lack vision on other issues. Just being against everything Bush supports is not a vision.

In addition, I am not quite sure what the Democrats stand for anymore when it comes to dealing with terrorism. When the next attack comes to America, and the Democrats are in charge, what will they do. Since they do not want to secure the borders to keep terrorists out, or send troops to weed out terrorist training camps, what is their vision? The stump speeches are full of anti-Bush stuff. But, a vision is lacking. Surprisingly, I think the Democrats can win the White House without a vision.

Now to some major issues that neither party seems concerned about. It seems that Democrats and Republicans need to focus on terrorism in America which includes a rational immigration/border policy, our economy, getting our troops home and getting them the medical care they need, and shoring up our Social Security Program, so elderly people can get enough to eat and pay their bills. Because, no one can live on a Social Security check.

Thank a teacher, because you can read. Thank a vet, because you can vote. It takes a village to raise a child, but it takes an Army to protect the village.

Gosh, I feel better now.

No comments: